20 January 2010

One of the Essentials

"I am only one; but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
I will not refuse to do something I can do."
Helen Keller

I mentioned just a few simple goals that I had for this year in my previous post. As the month goes on I'm sure I'll mention a few others that I have made. In many aspects, I'm a very private person, not trying to imply that I'm hiding skeletons in my closet, just that I cover my emotions and not let many see that side of me. Because of that, I don't want this post to be weepy or full of self-scrutiny. I simply want to be open and sincere.

I have always struggled with the "what do other people think of me" thoughts and really let them eat away at me, I know I shouldn't but, it's harder than it looks. Most of these "eating sessions" were due to sacrificing my personal time for things that could have waited & not taken the top of my priority list. My husband has tried over and over again to have me realize how much these thoughts tend to affect my decisions and attitude. And as I remind him, I'm only human. So another goal that I have set forth for this year is to put myself on my 'to do' list.

Recently, there have been a vast amount of changes coming at me (& Mat) in an extremely short period of time. Whether it be through family, friends or personal decisions. I've come to realize that I just don't have room in my life for the "what do other people think of me" thoughts. (As mentioned before, this is not meant to be a post of self-pity, but more of self-comprehension.)

I know there are family members that read our blog just to see what Mat & I are up to without having to ask about us or get in touch with us. And honestly, that is partly why I don't have my blog private. I hope that they do have the opportunity to read this, catch up on our life but ultimately know that we still love them. Even if we go months without speaking. Even if hurtful words were said. We still love them. It's just in our nature to love.

Forgiveness is an essential key to doors in life. Granted, it's not easy at times, but by the end it's in deed one of the greatest abilities that each of us has been given. I am not perfect, I don't pretend to be. I don't know everything, I don't act as if I do. I am only one person and cannot do everything, but can & try to do something.

I just wanted to end by saying how grateful I am. For family (that means the WHOLE family), friends (every single one of YOU!), and the blessing that Heavenly Father has been in my life, marriage and decision making.

I love you guys!
(So does Mat :) )

1 comment:

Jenna said...

I am also always wondering what people think of me. I know it kept me from doing a lot of things that I should have done. It's hard not to do that!